Miss Attitude’s neurologist appointment was yesterday. Without going into a lot of long, drawn-out detail, I’ll just make a long story short and tell you it was good news, all around. Since the MRIs and VEP came back normal, he really didn’t think we had anything to worry about; the abnormal “protein band” in her spinal fluid, in and of itself, was not a clear indicator of MS…was, in fact, “really nothing to worry about.” (*insert huge sigh of relief here*) He also doesn’t think Miss Attitude has papilledema (optic nerve swelling); he thinks it may be pseudopapilledema, in which it just appears swollen, but actually isn’t. He’s sending her to a pediatric ophthamologist, who will – I assume – confirm or refute the neurologist’s finding. The headaches, he says, sound like childhood migraines, and for now we’ll just treat them with Tylenol and Motrin unless/until she needs something stronger.
As if all the headache/MRI/optic nerve/spinal tap/neurology crap wasn’t enough, Miss Attitude is currently recovering from yet another round of pneumonia, her third? or fourth, maybe? episode of pneumonia in the last several months. Her pediatrician has spoken with her pulmonologist, who wants to do another bronchoscopy to try to find out why the poor kid keeps getting pneumonia. She’ll have that on June 13th, this time under general anesthesia. (Her last bronchoscopy – two years ago – was done under conscious sedation.)
I’ve been fighting what I’m pretty sure is a sinus infection. It started as a cold – or allergies, or a combination thereof – about three weeks ago, and has steadily continued NOT to improve. I have neither medical insurance nor the money for a doctor visit or prescriptions, especially in the wake of all of Miss Attitude’s recent doctor visits and prescriptions, so I’ve just waited and waited for things to get better…for my head to stop throbbing and my nose to stop dripping and my sinuses to stop draining and my throat to stop hurting and my cough to stop…erm…coughing; but, alas, my body seems to have chosen not to heal itself, and I finally gave in to Deputy Dad’s demands and let him call his doctor to make me an appointment. He called to let me know they had scheduled me for 4:00…NEXT Tuesday. My response? “Hell, just forget it…I’ll either be better or dead by then!” Geez.